Memorial Day Fun Run! May 22-24

Everyday general street luge and gravity sports discussion.

Moderator: Street-Luge.com

Memorial Day Fun Run! May 22-24

Postby SMRTIC » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:10 pm

It is time once again for the infamous Memorial Day Fun Run on the Talimena Scenic Drive in southeastern Oklahoma. (Downhill Paradise!) The road is a scenic byway that runs along the top of the Kiamichi Mts for over 50 miles between Talihina, OK and Mena, AR. There is very little traffic to control and the pavement is super smooth. There are runs of all types represented from technical runs, to speed runs (80mph), and long runs (4miles). We always stay at a great campground at the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge on top of the mountain.

http://www.queenwilhelmina.com/

It is a great location with full facilities. We will also be renting a box truck to haul everybody and there equipment around in. I'm also working on getting as many video cameras on the hills as possible. After the long fun days of bombing the hills, we usually end them by sitting around the campfire, telling stories, and even watching DVD's. (Yes there is electricity at the campsites!) Typically, by the time we split up the campsite and truck expenses, this weekend only costs about $60 a person. You don't want to miss out on this! Oklahoma City and Tulsa are the 2 closest major airports to fly into. The drive is located about an hour south of I-40 between Mena, AR and Talihina, OK.

With very little going on with Streetluge in the US this year, this may be the one to go to.

Check out these links to help make up your mind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKyQVibtDuI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaKaVjlfzic

http://www.gravitypublishing.com/But...4_Oklahoma.htm

http://chrismcb.com/streetluge/02/talimena.htm

http://chrismcb.com/streetluge/03/talimena.htm
SMRTIC

Postby David Eberhard » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:06 pm

:D :) :lol: 8) can't wait
David Eberhard

Postby SMRTIC » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:14 pm

This year Dave Bonnell is taking charge of organizing the event. If anyone has questions, you can contact me through this site or contact Dave via cell. 469-348-8366

It is already looking like a great turnout for this year.
SMRTIC

Postby skarecrow » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:32 pm

It's unfortunate that I won't be able to make it this year, just too soon for my ankle.
I hate to miss Boomers fire...
skarecrow

Postby SMRTIC » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:57 am

We will miss havin you there.

By the way, what have you done to piss off youtube? First they deleted your Tiger Mountain Trailer and now they have removed the music from your Talimena vids. You can't tell me that everyone else on youtube has permission to play the music that they do in their vids.
SMRTIC

Postby David Eberhard » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:34 pm

Rob we could us a good camera man. I'll drive the minivan, set up the tent, get the fire wood, make the fire. It'll be like Survivor :lol: Seriously, you make it hear(my house) and I'll take care of the rest. Any other northerner would like to split gas I'm taken the van it seats 7, with a luggage rack with room behind the back seat. That goes for you Kentucky boys too.You Michigain person we could strap you to the luggage rack, that's if you are going?? :lol:

It would not be the same with out you :cry:

CAN'T WAIT :D :D
David Eberhard

Postby skarecrow » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:13 am

It seems that youtube is all over my proverbial shit...
I got copywrite infringment all over... oh well, I guess I might have to take up the kazoo or something..
skarecrow

Regarding the Memorial Day fun run Talimena.

Postby David Bonnell » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:55 am

Last week I reserved a 24' U-Haul(plenty of room hopefully easy to turn around) that I will be picking up in Mena that Friday afternoon and returning it on Monday morning.Depending on the number of riders the cost should be close to last years. Last week I also reserved 3 campsites #34'35'36 they are at the bottom were we usually camp at.Yes I know we will need more camp sites but I could only reserve 3.I am bringing up quite a few riders this year so anybody planning on coming you might want to reserve a site soon.2 tents can be put on each site but there is a overflow area that is used when full and we used this last year.To reserve sites call the lodge at 1-479-394-2863.Its $14 per site per night CHEAP and hot showers.I also contacted the authorities to let them know we are coming and I will be bringing the signs for the road.I plan on being up on the Parkway as early as late Friday morning since its only 3 and half hours from my house.NOW I do not check my messages everyday so please call me for any ? and I would like a body count at least a week ahead of time this would be greatly appreciated.You do not want to miss this weekend.Talimena is awesome..Thanks David Bonnell 1-469-348-8366
David Bonnell

Postby smokin joe » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:21 am

Ill be going too Im looking forward to riding OK again...anybody know if there are
any donkeys around where we will be riding?...hmmm Now why does that sound strange?.......smoke!!!
smokin joe

Postby SMRTIC » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:48 am

I got a report from David Bonnell that he and several stand-up guys from Dallas were out on the Talimena Drive last fri. Evidently they didn'thave a single luge in the group, but top speeds were in the 68mph range. I SAID THAT THE STAND-UP GUYS WERE DOING 68MPH! This is an epic road. I seriously don't think anyone should miss Memorial Day if you can find any way to be there.
SMRTIC

Postby HIT MAN » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:32 pm

See all you *@#^! cheaters (Joe) on the hills! Look out for the secret weapon! It will be great to ride the "meena" again!!!!!!!!!

HIT MAN

Talimena

Postby David Bonnell » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:03 pm

Okays riders.I have some info for any riders that might be coming up early.I will be picking up John (Hit Man) from the Dallas airport Thurs afternoon and driving straight to Talimena and should arrive early Thursday nite.I will have some of the stand up riders already there early Thurs setting up camp.So Friday we plan on riding SOME but it will be limited due to using our own vehicles (pickup truck and my Blazer) because I do not pick up the U Haul until Friday afternoon in Mena (only 15 miles from the campsite) as originally planned.Now the Mena area was hit by 3 F 3 tornadoes a few weeks ago and I was in Mena last week and one tornados hit downtown hard and over a thousand structures we damaged or destroyed so anyone planning on going down to Mena for anything during the weekend the Wal Mart will be open.Now the Talimena parkway was spared from the storm.My prayers go out to the folks in Mena....PS..The 68 mph was hit on the hill 3.5 (three and half miles long and over 1200 feet of descent and 3 switch backs) Dustin Dixon pushed this hill to the limit last week and even stayed in his lane and we hit a number of hills over 60 mph ,it was perfect weather that day and #@$%^ fast...Like I told Bill ,we didn't even bring a luge....
David Bonnell

Postby HIT MAN » Tue May 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Counting the days...................and please, no rain! 8)
HIT MAN

Postby ChrisMcB » Tue May 05, 2009 9:28 pm

Dude.... Have you not learned anything?

I'm not surperstitions or anything, but there are some things better left unsaid before an event...
ChrisMcB

Postby HIT MAN » Sat May 09, 2009 6:01 am

Looking foward to seeing some OLD familiar faces! Any idea who and how many are in yet? I guess I should clean the Georgia clay outta my wheels and bearings so I can give Joe a run for the money! Can't wait, I'm getting excited.
HIT MAN

Next

Return to Street Luge Discussion Room