First Prototype Classic Luge

Your personal showroom for all your gravity vehicles.

Moderator: Street-Luge.com

Postby Mansellluk76 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:50 am

Finished my prototype classic luge last week and have a test run last saturday, made from 11ply concrete boxing grade plywood (very shit) but very cheap for making a prototype...Truck - Paris 195mm, Bushing - F = 93a/93a R = 90a/90a, wheels - Mini Monster HAWGS 70/78a, Bearing - BEAR Abec7 8mm, Front - 1/2 inch risers, Back - 1/4 inch risers...the road was about 150m with two turns i did about 30km/h (i take it slow for test run just to have a feel of what's it like and how the luge feel), but after 3rd test run i hear cracking sound from inside the plywood (???WTF???)...well i think is time to stop, go home and use better plywood to make prototype #2...what your guys and girls think???
Attachments
ClassicLuge2.jpg
ClassicLuge2.jpg (95.55 KiB) Viewed 10027 times
ClassicLuge1.jpg
ClassicLuge1.jpg (43.45 KiB) Viewed 10027 times
Mansellluk76

Re: First Prototype Classic Luge

Postby trikesrule » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:59 am

Off to a good start Mansell and yep that cracking sound is the Ply delaminating....... Trikes
trikesrule

Postby trikesrule » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:01 am

Come on guys, this youngster is from NZ and is quite alone on the BBing front. Lets give him some guidance and solid assistance..........Trikes
trikesrule

Postby LazyCody » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:42 pm

Looks like a solid design. Aside from the materials used in construction, I'd say it's pretty spot on as long as you feel good riding it. Have fun!
LazyCody

Postby ChrisMcB » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:18 pm

Mansellluk76 wrote:Finished my prototype classic luge last week ..

Your design is quite simple, no real need to make a prototype. Take a look here http://www.buttboarding.com/Build_Your_Own/Build_Your_Own.htm
It recommends what wood to use, and truck placement.

I'd recommend harder bushings in the rear. Of course Yates was just telling me he put the softer ones in the rear and liked it.
I'm not sure I like the idea of shorter risers in the back. Personally I'd go with the same size risers. You might want to consider 5 degree wedges. Wedge the front, dewedge the rear. (you mentioned Paris trucks, but not what angle)

Have fun!
ChrisMcB

Postby tiki alex » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:14 am

because paris comes only in 50° chris :wink:
tiki alex

Postby Mansellluk76 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:58 pm

After the problem with my first Prototype...i quickly got myself a better plywood (7ply at 19mm...i did think it may be not as strong as 11-13 ply the web site recommended)...it may end up prototype #2...it did not take me long to cut it out because my school had a big table saw (building school), cut out the round head with my own jig saw than give it a good sanding to smooth the edge off, installed the truck than i sit on it...(moment of truth)...it did not give flex at all (7ply at 19mm are stronger than i though) turn out that's a final build, because of this good build i have upgrade the bearing to (VXB bearing - yellow) and upgrade spacer to (Logic SPS Bearing Spacers .405"), all i need to do now is to give it a nice paint job or a nice Clear Coat...^_^

Thank you ChrisMcB i did get the design and info from http://www.buttboarding.com i will not try to build one with out going there to have a look first...^_^
Attachments
ClassicLuge_Final.jpg
ClassicLuge_Final.jpg (48.01 KiB) Viewed 9989 times
Mansellluk76

Postby ChrisMcB » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:14 pm

You might want to consider running some strips along the bottom edges. Of course you mentioned there is no flex, so you might not need to. But they also double as hand holds
ChrisMcB

Postby FrankW » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:10 pm

Looks great! I agree with Chris, you will probably want to add some grip strips to the bottom.

As far as bushing selection goes: The traditional method is to use firmer bushings in the rear, as that's where you'll most likely need to fight any wobble. However, bushing selection is greatly dependent upon rider weight, rider skill, preference and the course you're running. Typically the newer the rider, the heavier the rider and the faster the course the harder the bushings you need.

I find that some flex is nice, it helps absorbs rough roads and seems to improve traction in the corners, but too much flex makes for inconsistent cornering and a "soft" feel when transitioning from turn to turn. Too stiff and your board might slide a bit too much in corners.

Wedging is a tool you can use to tailor the feel and relative steer in your trucks. Most people like more steering out of the front, since that's where most of your weight is.

The most important thing is to ride safe so you can ride again.

-Frank
2013 IGSA Street Luge, 2013 & 2012 IGSA Classic Luge World Series Champ

facebook.com/williams.streetluge
Williams-Luge.com
StreetlugePDX.com
FrankW

Postby Mansellluk76 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Here it is, with two clear coat and grip strips i did think about change the Rear Bushing (Board side) to 93a, till than i really have to find a nice hill with smooth corners to see how it feels, i'll not even try to bomb a hill with out full face helmet, leather gloves, knees and elbow pad (will get leather race suit sooner or later) because i fully understand what's a buttboard is capable of (high speed) and what i am capable of at the moment (not very fast...hahaha) and thank you for evey one helping me out and watch me build my buttboard from just a prototype...^_^
Attachments
ClassicLuge_Final01.jpg
ClassicLuge_Final01.jpg (49.82 KiB) Viewed 9953 times
Mansellluk76

Postby FrankW » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Your board looks great.

Whereabouts do you live? There might be an experienced luger near you who can show you the ropes. I'm assuming by your username somewhere in the UK?

-Frank
2013 IGSA Street Luge, 2013 & 2012 IGSA Classic Luge World Series Champ

facebook.com/williams.streetluge
Williams-Luge.com
StreetlugePDX.com
FrankW

Postby Mansellluk76 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:16 pm

Not at all...i am from (Auckland) New Zealand and i a was born in Hong Kong (%100 made in Hong Kong) i am very alone here out of all my skating friends that i know, i think i am the fist one who actually wanted to have a go and actually made a classic luge (buttboard) to bomb hills or car parks with, before i actually starting to make one i did some good amount of homework on Google for design, recommend plywood, bearings, wheels, truck and rules for classic luge as this may not be the actual final make i may use Meranti plywood or Keruing plywood to build another one but for now i'll find some car parks or nice hill to bomb on first...^_^
Mansellluk76

Postby trikesrule » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:49 am

Well done Mansellluk :D
trikesrule

Postby Mansellluk76 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:20 am

Just done a car parks run last saturday is was super fun i can actually feel the g-force from turning corners at speed...i am really hooked to buttboarding now i end up keep asking where do they (longboarders) skate all the time so i can go buttboard with them, but we are have bad luck at the moment the cops are on our ass so no buttboarding this week... :-( so how about you guys & girls when will you practice, where will you practice & how often you practice???
Mansellluk76

Postby sidecar nic » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:15 am

In a perfect world I'd be riding weekly. Sadly the world is far from perfect and its closer to once a month at a stretch these days. Im lucky in the fact that I have a dozen big hills nearby to choose from plus a lot of new housing developments and sections of very scenic footpath.

Ride safe!
sidecar nic

Next

Return to Gravity Vehicle Showcase