Bodrodz......Now

Your personal showroom for all your gravity vehicles.

Moderator: Street-Luge.com

Bodrodz......Now

Postby bodrodz1956 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:36 pm

Building and playing gravity cars now. This ones all chromoly and stainless with independant brakes. Car runs almost as fast as the luge. A few more aero refinements and we'll be right there. The luge is no contest in the handling dept. Just adding the body went from 61 to 67 mph. Luge ran 69 on same hill. A second build already in progress with full suspension and super slippery. More pics to follow.
Wedding & Gravity Car Oct 2 061 (2).jpg
Shoe horning myself in for a test run.
Wedding & Gravity Car Oct 2 061 (2).jpg (127.64 KiB) Viewed 8086 times
DSCN0721-2 (2).jpg
Chassis build almost done and ready for body mount
DSCN0721-2 (2).jpg (42.85 KiB) Viewed 8086 times
bodrodz1956

Re: Bodrodz......Now

Postby FrankW » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:54 am

Wow, Bodrodz is a name I haven't heard in a while... and a gravity car is something I haven't seen in almost as long. That gravity car looks amazing! I would love to see it on video, or in person. I have always wanted to build one.
2013 IGSA Street Luge, 2013 & 2012 IGSA Classic Luge World Series Champ

facebook.com/williams.streetluge
Williams-Luge.com
StreetlugePDX.com
FrankW

Postby HIT MAN » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:31 pm

What road is that?............... 8)
HIT MAN

Postby FrankW » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:36 pm

Curious: It looks like each peddle is linked to it's own individual brake, is this to provide differential braking to aid in turning?

Williams-Luge.com
StreetlugePDX.com
FrankW

Postby bodrodz1956 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:27 am

Yep, it is independant brakes. Great for diving into a corner when a little braking is needed. If you look under the steering column, that valve can opened allowing either pedal op both brakes. Used it once but prefer independant braking, a lot more fun. The road is in NC just over the NE Georgia border.Image
bodrodz1956

Postby bodrodz1956 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:30 am

One more pic.[imgImage][/img]
bodrodz1956

Postby stevefernando » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:55 pm

Very cool that you're still in the gravity game. I loved your luges and this gravity car looks great! Please keep us up to date on this project, I love seeing your work. I've tried unsuccessfully to locate DrGoFast's old car in an attempt to buy it. Please post your new car, can't wait to see it. Grump
stevefernando

Postby FrankW » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:10 pm

More questions:

Why did you elect to go with rear only brakes? Most of your weight is (usually) over the front wheels and under braking even more weight transfers to the front. Have you noticed any squirelliness or unsettling under hard braking?

Do your rear wheels rotating independently or are they both attached to the same axle? It looks like your rear toe-in is adjustable, is that true?

It doesn't look like you have any front suspension, but do have some rear. Would you mind posting a picture with a little more detail?

Also, what materials are you using for the frame and body?

I've been wanting to make something similar for a long time.

Williams-Luge.com
StreetlugePDX.com
FrankW

Postby bodrodz1956 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:37 pm

Hi Frank, Front brakes are definetly being considered, in fact will probably happen in the near future. Believe it or not car weighs in with about 60% on the front wheels, which is about 5% more than we targeted for, but makes a push almost none existent. Addition of the front brakes will help out the weight bias a little. No suspension front or rear, so there is very little weight transfer to the front wheels without the nose diving and loading the front tires. It's all forward decelerating lateral g's trying to keep the car hauling butt. So, right now there is no true emergency stop without locking up the rear tires. Puffing the tires up tight to cut down the tire contact patch doesn't help either with braking however huge on the other end of the speed spectrum. Hard braking in a corner you'll be lookin at where you just came from in a heartbeat.

Getting ready to had a CO2 pnuematic speed brake system actuated from a button on the wheel, to use in conjuction with brakes or by themselves. Two 1.5 sq. ft spoilers with spill plates. blown up to 40 degrees across the back of the car and spring loaded to the down and flush position. Should be considerable aerodynamic drag and downforce on the rear tires to aid braking and cornering above 55+ mph. Should be interesting.

Rear wheels roll independantly. Rear axle is solid 1.5 stainless steel with 17 mm stub axles. There is no adjustment to rear axle. All the rods and bracing is to keep the bearing cassette 90 degrees to the axle because the calipers are mounted to the cassette housing. If the bearing cassettes are swimming under hard cornering, then the brake pads won't run true to the rotors. Rear brakes are front brakes off an Italian shifter kart. Brake hat installs on the stub axles followed by the hub, finally the wheel bolted to the hub.

As far as the chassis, all the frame tubing is chromoly and stainless steel. All the sheet metal is stainless steel. All brake lines are stainless along with steering components. Fully adjustable caster, camber, and toe front end. Body is all marine grade ply. 3/4" bulkheads with 1/4" skin with stratigecally placed steel armor in the fender wells to help prevent tire puncture. Area over the feet and legs is foam composite with steel reinforcements . Fat is where it's at in gravity cars, to a point. You'd be surprised to know how heavy this car is and with no deliberate weighting. Hope this helps. All I can say is build one. More pics to follow.
bodrodz1956

Postby bodrodz1956 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:50 pm

Rear brake installation pic. Want to say thanks to Ed "Fast Eddie" Bryant for his expertise in building th body.[imImageg][/img]
bodrodz1956

Postby DefectiveProduct » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:40 pm

COOL. Instantly reminds me of gokarts I raced except without the motor.

That looks like it would be fun too, hard to imagine they keep up speed.
Drive fast, and take chances. It's the sudden stops that get ya!
DefectiveProduct

Return to Gravity Vehicle Showcase