Cheap New Woodie

Your personal showroom for all your gravity vehicles.

Moderator: Street-Luge.com

Cheap New Woodie

Postby Kerns » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:53 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lonebone/6209395169/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lonebon...n/photostream/

Made a wood sled for about $50 (sled only) and figured I'd post it. Took it out for the first real test run and was probably about 35mph. Felt really comfortable and stable. Made a classic luge back before the winter and didn't really get into as much as I hoped but this looks promising.

Going to add some paint or something to seal it up, some padding/grip for my neck and back, and already changed up the front peg. And some light bumpers too.

*Just added links to the photos to make it easier. Going to still try to just get the photos to show right on the page.
Last edited by Kerns on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kerns

Re: Cheap New Woodie

Postby woody » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:27 pm

Images not showing up for me :(
Woody , going down hill fast ?
woody

Postby Kerns » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:20 am

Added the links :)
Kerns

Postby Kerns » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:05 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lonebone/6 ... hotostream

Little more updated photo, figured I post after taking it on a nice run this morning before work. Only hit 45 on it so far, but it handles well.
Kerns

Postby ChrisMcB » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:51 am

That pan looks fairly narrow. I don't know if it will give you a lot of leverage on your trucks.
And are those handle bars?
ChrisMcB

Postby DazTheCowboy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:58 am

$50 board= $5000 hospital bill hehe, i'm all for making affordable boards but i'd hate to see another rider down due to mechanical failure and or poor design, i just hope you got the safety gear on when your booking down a hill hehe.

if you want to race it you will need only a few little alterations and incorporate some more safety features to reach IGSA standards :)

PEACE!
DazTheCowboy

Postby Kerns » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Been awhile since I've checked this but exams are over, the holiday season is over (retail wooo) and it's time to skate/luge again!

Im definitely looking to redesign this. For my first build I'm happy but ya, the seat is a little more narrow then I thought I would need. Little on the short side too. But so far so good, the handle bars (red bars) work well and I can get a fair amount of leverage even with the small seat. The white bar is just to rest my legs which reaches just behind my knee so it doesn't interfere with breaking.

Safety is always key and I'm going to add some thicker bumpers. Can't see it in the shot but the front has a decent bumper already. And yes, I got my safety gear on. Leathers, full face, and breaking shoes just for when I luge, tire tread and all.

So for a new build, anyone have suggestions as far as number of trucks to use? I might try to add a third truck up front to see how that feels for me.
Kerns

Return to Gravity Vehicle Showcase