VERY First Luge I've Built/Ridden

Your personal showroom for all your gravity vehicles.

Moderator: Street-Luge.com

VERY First Luge I've Built/Ridden

Postby z_dunlap » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:25 pm

Ok here it is! I am using Sector 9 Race Formula Wheels 77mm 82a ( biggest they had at the local shop) and Indy 215's with Lucky Titanium bearings. Made from 2x4's and 1/2 and 1/4 ply wood. I bent a piece of 3/4 conduit for the handle and wrapped it with handle bar wrap made for cycling (Lance Armstrong bikes). The wrap is great if you haven't tried it yet. I cycle and had some extra and figured it would be great. You can get it in just about ANY color from most bike shops. What do you think? Yeah..I know...It's BRIGHT. 8)

z_dunlap

Re: VERY First Luge I've Built/Ridden

Postby Pete Sumner » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:22 pm

AWESOME LUGE!!! I love wood street luges and built the same sled years ago, right down to the Indy 215 trucks! I used it only for recreational luging, but learned a lot of speed and handling tricks on it. You, my friend, are going to have a great time on your new luge! Stay safe.
Pete Sumner

Postby ChrisMcB » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:12 am

Looks pretty cool. Personally I probably would have tried to extend the handlebars a little further forward. Gives you legs a little more to rest on.

How does it ride?
ChrisMcB

Postby z_dunlap » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:13 am

ChrisMcB wrote:Looks pretty cool. Personally I probably would have tried to extend the handlebars a little further forward. Gives you legs a little more to rest on.

How does it ride?

It rides great! It feels like its on rails in a tight turn too. I getting to the point where I'm going to start experimenting with the truck angle and maybe different bushings. I've gone just over 50 mph on its so far and it rides ridiculously smooth. I'm totally surprised at how well the wheels absorb the bumps and cracks. The hard part now is going to be finding suitable riding spots. I go searching just about every weekend in North Georgia on my Aprilia so if I find some good ones I'll let everyone know.
z_dunlap

Postby HIT MAN » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:16 pm

Clayton...Mountain City...Rabun county in general. Many good times there! 8)
HIT MAN

Postby Don Rattray » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:16 pm

Nice luge.. I'm building one similar to it. Where did you get the foam and what kind of foam is it? And how did you attach the front of the handlebars to the boom?
Don Rattray

Postby swimmer_spe » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Where did you get the plans? How did you come up with the measurements?
swimmer_spe

Return to Gravity Vehicle Showcase