Cherry Bombs

Your personal showroom for all your gravity vehicles.

Moderator: Street-Luge.com

Cherry Bombs

Postby bowland » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:12 am

This is my cherry bomb collection. It was the first wheel I bought for street luge. I'm wanting to know if I have the four different wheels in the order they came out. I also want to know if I'm missing a style or print design. I guess the cherry bomb and turbo were two different wheels. Did they eventually just make the turbo? The first wheel on the left was my first. They had no print on them. I remember at the beginning you could only get them from certain people. When I ordered them I waited and waited, then I finally called the shop I ordered them from. They said I had to wait because they were going to a race and were taking them there first! I was pissed off! I was told they were made by two different owners. Info on all of this would be great. Any Information!!

I have a few decals, one is a torsion truck decal. Did anyone run them on their luge? I also have a brochure with the electric board, trucks, wheels and sponsored riders listed in it. If anyone has some oval exkate decals of any size they want to get rid of please let me know.
bowland

Re: Cherry Bombs

Postby ChrisMcB » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:43 pm

I don't ever remember print on the wheels. Was this done after the company was sold?

Torsion trucks don't work on luges above about 25 mph. You need a harder bushing.
ChrisMcB

Postby stevefernando » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:24 am

I have new Cherry Bombs and new M-80's, not sure if I have any stickers left. I still have the patches on my leathers... I had so many wheels from them I never needed ones with printing. I heard they weren't as good, but cannot confirm. I'll get back to you on inventory, stories...
stevefernando

Postby bowland » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:44 am

great, I would love to hear your stories Steve
bowland

Postby Furlong » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:04 am

The wheel on the far left was also one of the first wheels I ever used / riden / owned. That wheel is circa 2000-2002.

The second wheel is a Cherry Bomb with a printed graphic. I believe the urethane formula is slightly different from the first wheel. This wheel first appeared in 2003 I believe.

The third wheel is an M-80. This is simply a Cherry Bomb with an outer lip designed for grip. I still have this wheel. It's faster than the regular Cherry Bomb and doesn't slide as much due to the lip.

I'm not sure what the fourth wheel is, haven't seen that printed graphic before.

The Cherry Bombs are 82mm, and Turbos are 76mm. I remember because I used to have Turbos, in fact they were my very first luge wheel. Jeff Schonzeit recommended me to buy them since they were $30 for a set at the time (1999), versus $60 for a set of Cherry Bombs. He told me that 76mm is just as fast as 82mm, so I opted for the cheaper wheel. The Turbos I had were dark blue in color. In 2003, Exkate poured all their Turbos, Cherry Bombs, and M-80s in either red or black, in 2 duros (soft and hard, can't remember the numbers).

Basically the wheels with the printed graphics only came out when Exkate did some retooling in their molds in 2003, in order to correct some pouring problems which were causing the notorious wheel melting problems back in the day. I remember melting a Cherry Bomb that didn't have a graphic on it. IRS Sports were also stocking these Exkate wheels with the graphics in 2003. I remember buying some at Ansted, West Virginia, in 2003.
"Keep the faith. Ride hard."
Furlong

Postby stevefernando » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:43 am

When I became part of the team, there was just the Cherry Bomb, then team members only got the M-80's... it was a huge advantage. I got cases of wheels because we ran the softer 78a duro for max traction and the wheels would cone. Never melted one off the hub but some of the heavier guys had problems. Of course this was before we ran double trucks up front. Some of the Southern boys ran doubles back in the day but not out west. We'd take the coned wheels and give them out at races as souvineers...
stevefernando

Postby bowland » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:47 pm

the fourth wheel in the pic is a turbo
bowland

Postby stevefernando » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:53 pm

when I get around to taking the ExKate patches off my leathers you can add them to your collection...
stevefernando

Postby bowland » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:47 pm

Hell yeah! thank you Boss!
bowland

Postby spyke427 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:37 pm

I got a set of the trucks you are talking about I ran them one time and got rid of them the same day. At speed they were way to loose to keep control, big disappointment.
spyke427

Postby stevefernando » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:12 am

here's my email, could you send me a photo of your trucks? steveluge90@yahoo.com
stevefernando

Postby spyke427 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:47 pm

I gave them away some time ago. I bought them at a active board shop after the salesman told me they would work great, I liked how they were wider than anything i had at the time and thought they would be able to turn in better without the trucks having to be very lose. they turned very tight but no matter how tight i got the bushings they were not stable.
spyke427

Postby Blown_xa » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:31 pm

I have some 73a and 66a duro m80s ( that's right). Have never used them....
REY Trucks, affordable precision
Blown_xa

Postby will » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:50 am

Blown_xa wrote:I have some 73a and 66a duro m80s ( that's right). Have never used them....

66a?! :shock:
will

Postby North_Coast » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:01 pm

Blown_xa wrote:I have some 73a and 66a duro m80s ( that's right). Have never used them....

Damn. Interested in getting rid of 'em?
North_Coast

Next

Return to Gravity Vehicle Showcase