We're the problem!

Everyday general street luge and gravity sports discussion.

Moderator: Street-Luge.com

Re: We're the problem!

Postby Beee » Thu May 23, 2013 9:07 am

I agree, like everyone, about having to ride as much as we can to promote it. I wish I could though in this flat country. And the lousy weather here wasn't helping either.

I'm a bit surprised though about the number of lugers (classic and street) who are participating this year on Kozakov, Grim and Peyragudes. In fact, all 3 races still have open places for registration.

I registered for classic luge but I don't have one yet... I do agree it would make it easier to ride and thus to promote since dragging my luge + leathers/gear to our spot by train (I don't have a car) is a real bitch !!!

About the Newtons Nation broadcast;
IDF had no say in what was shown. It was a local crew, hired/paid by the event organiser with a dedicated producer who deciced what was shown. Because of dropping viewer numbers he decided highlights would be shown instead of live footage, not IDF.

Same goes from Striker and that other dude... IDF didn't hire them and wasn't responsible for it.
Striker is just a child, I tried pm-ing with him about the events he organises because I wanted to publish them, but he only wrote in caps and when he found out I was a luger he started bithcing about luge, so I said fuck him and didn't list his events.

About the prices: Yes it is expensive but for example Lasertec offers a luge for about € 275,-/$ 350,- ex shipping, which is fairly cheap imo. If I have some extra money after the summer, I'm thinking about getting one for spare so i can invite someone who hasn't got one to join me. So there are some cheap(er) alternatives.
Beee

Postby tiki alex » Thu May 23, 2013 9:25 am

shipping to europe is about the same as the luge - just so you can calculate ;-)
tiki alex

Postby Kahn » Thu May 23, 2013 7:24 pm

Bill, we've had this discussion for well over a decade now... The original street luge message board, during x and gravity games, and even the height of the sport... How to grow it.

With the litigious state of the United States today, and it being worse than just 10 years ago, extreme sports will be a thing of the past... Lets enjoy our sport. I still love it. Always will... But lets face the fact that it won't be like it was nor how we dream.

Standup on the other hand... It's huge!
Kahn

Postby Furlong » Sat May 25, 2013 1:39 am

Bee, the guys organizing the Newtons Nation race are also the same guys behind IDF, just so you know....
"Keep the faith. Ride hard."
Furlong

Postby ChrisMcB » Sat May 25, 2013 8:28 pm

Beee wrote:. IDF didn't hire them and wasn't responsible for it.

IDF, like IFSA is essentially a sanctioning body. For the most part they don't organize races. It is the organizer that typically does things like, hire announcers, and decide what will be shown on their broadcasts.
Unlike IGSA, IDF board members are mostly organizers. The IDF board members are the organizers of Newton's Nation, Peyragude, BoPeep, Vernon, Whistler and Britania.
Newton's Nation actually organizer hired ASRA to run the event. ASRA hired Striker. ASRA has one member on the IDF board, but many of the other members also help with the IDF organization. When I paid for my IDF membership (to race at Maryhill) the funds went to ASRA...
I don't know how much control the organizer had over the internet broadcast, or how much control ASRA had. BUT Newton's Nation had street luge because the organizer specifically requested it.
As far as "ratings" go, its funny how they were able to see the ratings drop without even showing street luge.
As far as Striker goes, I've known him for a long time, and this was the first time I've seen any animosity towards luge from him. My biggest problem with his announcing at this event is he was a bit R rated for a show that should be targeted at a younger audience.
ChrisMcB

Postby Nascar_Freak » Sun May 26, 2013 2:43 am

Im sorry but I like either John/bob ozman or Marcus announcing. Sticker starts a story over every time someone passes the finish. In 2011 it took him over an hour to finish a quick story. Luckily at vernon last year the speakers didn't work lol
Nascar_Freak

Postby Beee » Mon May 27, 2013 3:28 am

Furlong wrote:Bee, the guys organizing the Newtons Nation race are also the same guys behind IDF, just so you know....

Well, that's not entirely true.... (if I recall correctly) one of the Newton's guys (Robbo) is somewhat involved in IDF, but he's not a board member, he's ASRA (if I'm correct).

According to https://www.facebook.com/InternationalD ... ation/info those are the board members. No Newton's guys in there, if I see it right.

If you mean some of the ASRA guys, they helped creating the website and so but have no direct say in IDF.

(don't hold this as 100% truth, all things subject to change of course but this is how I recall/remember it)
Beee

Postby ChrisMcB » Tue May 28, 2013 1:32 am

Beee wrote:According to https://www.facebook.com/InternationalD ... ation/info those are the board members. No Newton's guys in there, if I see it right.

Haggy is listed on that page as a director, he is also the president of ASRA. Meanwhile Colin (ASRA secretry) posts many of the official announcements on the IDF page. While Colin is not a board member, he has made himself appear as the unnofficial spokesperson of IDF. There is definitely a heavy ASRA bent to IDF.
ChrisMcB

Postby FrankW » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:50 pm

I have a simple question: who here is actually voting for street luge in the Dr. Pepper The Next One contest? This is an opportunity for street luge to yet again be put in the mainstream and the support from the luge community seems very quiet. Almost all of you are my "friends" on facebook, but very few seem to be voting, tweeting and sharing. It's not difficult, takes only a couple minutes. But it gives street luge a chance to once again be put in the eyes and minds of the television audience, which as been discussed is still the king of media promotion.

Also, we need more up to date websites. As Beee once said, every athlete should have their own website.

-Frank
2013 IGSA Street Luge, 2013 & 2012 IGSA Classic Luge World Series Champ

facebook.com/williams.streetluge
Williams-Luge.com
StreetlugePDX.com
FrankW

Postby sk8ermatt02 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:32 am

Frank,
Maybe we should have "Luge-book".....j/k
sk8ermatt02

Postby king » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:02 pm

I voted for you a few times Frank!

As for everyone having their own website.... maybe a website where you can create/update your own profile.
king

Postby Nick-a-tron » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:53 pm

Lame websites, posters and tweets and voting contests are not the way to raise any kind of profile, you just end up putting the sport out as a circus act, and the individuals on their own pre-made pedestal that distances them from the public, I've seen it done so many times and it always looks awful! A growing sport needs grass roots appeal, not one single street luger is anything other than grass roots competitors, so let's not pretend any one is a legit athlete right now. The sport needs hands on contact with regular people, by regular people. It needs to be seen as accessible some how, because right now it absolutely isn't!
Nick-a-tron

Postby FrankW » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:11 pm

I somewhat agree, but mostly disagree. Exposure is exposure is exposure and all positive exposure should be welcome. I started street luge in the late 90's because I saw it on tv with the likes of Biker Sherlock, the Rogers Bros and the Ozman bros. All of them seemed bigger than life. But if I had never seen it, then I would have never started myself. We need to be seen; television, the internet and social media are crucial for that.

But I do agree, street luge needs to be more accessible. I still believe classic luge (or should it be "stock" luge now?) is the key; lower priced, more accessible, easier to produce. Maryhill had many more classic luge racers than street luge, quite a few were stand up crossovers.
2013 IGSA Street Luge, 2013 & 2012 IGSA Classic Luge World Series Champ

facebook.com/williams.streetluge
Williams-Luge.com
StreetlugePDX.com
FrankW

Postby DrNo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:45 am

While I agree that some publicity is done wrong and spun by media in a way that hurts the promotion of the sport it is exposure and since no one in the sport has the money to pay for all the costs involved with production of media to do it "the right way" we have to accept it for what it is....exposure.

Frank began the way most did, saw it on TV.

If the sport is to grow it needs riders and using about any method possible to get the sport seen will be a positive for growing the sport. The "bad" publicity will draw riders just as good will. We have always taught control and safety and then someone like Budweiser comes along and spends millions of dollars to hire a "Hollywood personality" and stunt man along with all the others needed to produce a commercial that shows an out of control luger hitting a sign post. While some saw "an out of control hoodlum" in an unsafe sport I doubt there was one person who viewed the spot and said "I want to go hit a pole!" Instead they researched how to ride a streetluge.

Exposure, Exposure, Exposure.
DrNo

Postby gravguy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:17 am

Ok Ive been out of the competitive side for a good while now . I still ride but i just no longer competitively race. A big thing on visibility from the outside now there is NO publicity as seen from the outside. If it had not been that i see friends posts on facebook i would never have heard about events,
As being one of those who would go to events i see that since there is no money for promotion there has to be a grass roots movement amongst the riders. STOP THE COMPLAINING message as many people as you can and let them know hell even if you dont like someone let them know. standup races get promoted easier because people talk to and push each other.
I cant say that i havent seen an older rider take one or more under their wing and push them up ( i have ) but i dont think there is enough. for the years i did ride ( as much as i could ) i was never the best but i got out there. i cant say i made too many permanent friends hell i pissed off more than i made friends with but i got out there and i tried. I still see the posts after the events are over rarely before they happen. if people really want this sport to grow they have to TALK TO EVERYONE, SELF PROMOTE AND HELP YOUR FELLOW RIDERS
lifs going downhill get on your luge and catch it
gravguy

PreviousNext

Return to Street Luge Discussion Room