Talimena Memorial Day Fun Run 2013!

Everyday general street luge and gravity sports discussion.

Moderator: Street-Luge.com

Talimena Memorial Day Fun Run 2013!

Postby SMRTIC » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:30 pm

The Memorial Day Fun Run will be May 24th-26th. This will be the 11th year that we have held this event in Oklahoma for all downhill disciplines. How many other races or events currently held have been going on for 11 YEARS? That should tell you something about how great of an event this is. I challenge you to find anyone who has been to the Memorial Day Fun Run that has not had a great time or says it wasn't worth the trip. We already have pretty good confirmation that this year should exceed all others as far as turnout just like it does every year! Just like most of the downhill events nowadays, the stand-up guys are starting to outnumber the streetlugers, so lets try to turn the tables this year.

The event takes place in Southeastern Oklahoma on the Talimena Drive. The road is a scenic byway that runs along the top of the Kiamichi Mts for over 50 miles. There is very little traffic to control and the pavement is super smooth. There are runs of all types represented from technical runs, to speed runs (80+mph), and long runs (4 miles). We always stay at a great campground at the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge on top of the mountain.

http://www.queenwilhelmina.com/lodge/

It is a great location with full facilities. We will also be renting a box truck to haul everybody and there equipment around in. After the long fun days of bombing the hills, we usually end them by sitting around the campfire, telling stories, and even watching DVD's. (Yes there is electricity at the campsites!) Typically, by the time we split up the campsite and truck expenses, this weekend only costs less than $100 a person. You don't want to miss out on this! Oklahoma City and Tulsa are the 2 closest major airports to fly into. The drive is located about an hour south of I-40 between Mena, Ar and Talihina, OK.

If you're still reading this and you've never been to or heard of this event before, start Youtubing and Googling! You don't want to miss this!
SMRTIC

Re: Talimena Memorial Day Fun Run 2013!

Postby SMRTIC » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:37 pm

SMRTIC

Postby SMRTIC » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:13 am

Do you know that feeling where you are tired of doing so many runs on your streetluge?
You know that feeling where you just cant take any more runs, but its just too fun to stop.
Well, I'm sure you don't, unless you've been to the Talimena Fun Run before. :wink:

C'mon you Talimena vets, start sharing some stories!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4a0_1327255885

Find it on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/468432246556997/
SMRTIC

Postby David Eberhard » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:30 pm

Joshua and i well be coming, even though it's one of the longest drives for me :D But diffidently ONE of the BEAST 8) it will still be the CHEAPEST events for the both of us this year.
David Eberhard

Postby SMRTIC » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:58 am

Only 5 weeks away!
If you are wanting to get ridiculous amounts of time on multiple styles of hills without having to attend a race, this is where you want to be. This is also a great weekend to practice up for the race season and get good advice from other experienced streetlugers. Talimena does not disappoint!
SMRTIC

Postby lil john » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:34 pm

Anyone have an objection to me riding an old school rail ?
lil john

Postby SMRTIC » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:30 am

lil john wrote:Anyone have an objection to me riding an old school rail ?

Not at all. :D
SMRTIC

Postby bodrodz1956 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:37 am

Wondering if it would be possible to allow a couple of gravity cars? Would like to bring out the Atomic Splinter and the Bullet. We'll take care of all our transportation on the hills. Thanks
bodrodz1956

Postby SMRTIC » Thu May 02, 2013 6:25 pm

We'd be ok with that. I'd definitely bring some luges too if you still have them.

Got word that a bunch of standup guys were out there for a charity run just 2 weeks ago and the slower guys were still hitting 64mph! This event is well worth the trip.
SMRTIC

Postby SMRTIC » Mon May 13, 2013 8:07 pm

Less than 2 weeks until 3 days of absolute downhill overindulgence! That means a whole lotta streetluging. Its a cheap trip and an amazing time, don't miss out!
SMRTIC

Postby Blown_xa » Tue May 21, 2013 2:54 pm

Wish I could , saving $ for I LOVE DH race in June. you should go Bill, only 5 of us lugers are registered
REY Trucks, affordable precision
Blown_xa

Postby SMRTIC » Tue May 21, 2013 10:09 pm

There's still time for you to plan a road trip.

Weather is looking great for this weekend and it looks like the local law enforcement will be shutting down roads for us on at least 2 of the days. Gotta love those 70+mph runs! :mrgreen:

How are you spending your Memorial Day?

It just doesn't get much better than Talimena!
SMRTIC

Postby JEberhard » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:38 am

Any news on this years Fun Run? Will it be the weekend of May 23?
Team Eb-Luge
JEberhard

Postby SMRTIC » Tue May 20, 2014 3:06 pm

Yes it is!

We are running Talimena this Fri, Sat, and Sunday. Anyone who is not attending the races this weekend should plan a road trip to southeastern Oklahoma.

Speeds of 80+mph will be seen in luge!
SMRTIC

Return to Street Luge Discussion Room