Jet Powered Luge Downunder

Everyday general street luge and gravity sports discussion.

Moderator: Street-Luge.com

Re: Jet Powered Luge Downunder

Postby FrankW » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:41 pm

I'm gonna be honest with you guys: I believe the essence of luge is that it's gravity powered. Once you attach a power source to it that essence is lost. I personally don't recognize Joel's world record and believe "Bob"'s should be in the latest Guiness book (I was appalled it wasn't).

Attaching turbines, rockets or Harleys is a great exercise in ingenuity, but it just isn't street luge to me anymore.
2013 IGSA Street Luge, 2013 & 2012 IGSA Classic Luge World Series Champ

facebook.com/williams.streetluge
Williams-Luge.com
StreetlugePDX.com
FrankW

Postby DazTheCowboy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:50 pm

FrankW wrote:Do you really think you'll need 420 lbs of thrust? .

well to answer that i say this, do i need jet's on a board at all? does a jet drag car need jets? no :)

yes it can be broken with one, i plan to go faster than one can take me ;)

if i explode and die a fiery flaming death due to catastrophic failure of the after burners....................my bad :) these motors are being precisely built and will be working fine when i attach them to the board, i have great confidence in their design and construction :)

Nascar_Freak wrote:Daz - You have more information on you jet engines? Also where did you get them?

Ive been recently thinking about doing that at the utah salt flats. Cant wait to see some vids of it!

sorry i cannot disclose were i got my engines as part of the sales agreement.

FrankW wrote:My biggest concern would be aerodynamic lift.

this can also be overcome with engine positioning, pointing them slightly in and down, pushing the board to the ground more, this is not a solution but you can obtain a higher speed with no other down force, though this will be taken into account when the body is made.
DazTheCowboy

Postby DazTheCowboy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:55 pm

FrankW wrote:http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/MBA150UAVTURBINE.html

this motor has a maximum takeoff thrust of 150lbs, the two i am using have a maximum takeoff thrust of 170lbs and have a CONTINUOUS thrust of 150lbs.

that motors power would drop to at least 120 or 130lbs after takeoff.

price is about right though, wanna race? hehe
DazTheCowboy

Postby FrankW » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:11 pm

Haha, I don't think they'll allow turbines at Newton's. I would be interested in taking a peak at your project if I make it in April.

Williams-Luge.com
StreetlugePDX.com
FrankW

Postby Nascar_Freak » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:17 am

FrankW wrote: I personally don't recognize Joel's world record and believe "Bob"'s should be in the latest Guiness book (I was appalled it wasn't).

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/rec ... reet-luge/
Nascar_Freak

Postby FrankW » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:30 am

I know it's a Guinness record, but they still omitted it from the 2011 published book.

Williams-Luge.com
StreetlugePDX.com
FrankW

Postby DazTheCowboy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:42 am

FrankW wrote:I'm gonna be honest with you guys: I believe the essence of luge is that it's gravity powered. Once you attach a power source to it that essence is lost. I personally don't recognize Joel's world record and believe "Bob"'s should be in the latest Guiness book (I was appalled it wasn't).

Attaching turbines, rockets or Harleys is a great exercise in ingenuity, but it just isn't street luge to me anymore.

your right Frank, it's not, that's why i'm not running it on a street, that's why it's also called a JETLuge, i'm not building a jet powered streetluge, i'm building a JetLuge, you will be barely able to turn it let alone ride it on the street HAHA streetluge pffft. :)
DazTheCowboy

Postby FrankW » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:36 pm

FrankW wrote:I believe the essence of luge is that it's gravity powered.

This holds true of ice luge, street luge, salt-flat luge, runway luge, snow luge, dirt luge and whatever other surface you decide to run on. Again, this is my opinion and in no way reflects that of... anyone else.

Williams-Luge.com
StreetlugePDX.com
FrankW

Postby DazTheCowboy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:28 pm

haha see now you made me have to google the definition ;)

luge (lzh)
n.
1. A racing sled for one or two people that is ridden with the rider or riders lying supine.
2. A competition in which these sleds race against a clock.

says nothing about thrust or what frank believes hehe, where both right :)

PEACE!
DazTheCowboy

Postby bobswartz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:05 pm

:wink:
Hmmmmm JetLuge where have I heard that before?
bobswartz

Postby FrankW » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:50 pm

Luge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luge

The first recorded use of the term "luge" is 1905, from the Savoy/Swiss dialect of French "luge" meaning "small coasting sled", and is possibly from a Gaulish word with the same root as English sled.[4]

Coasting

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Coasting

v. coast·ed, coast·ing, coasts
v.intr.
a. To slide down an incline through the effect of gravity.
b. To move effortlessly and smoothly. See Synonyms at slide.
2. To move without further use of propelling power.
3. To act or move aimlessly or with little effort: coasted for a few weeks before applying for a job.
4. Nautical To sail near or along a coast.

As you can see here, the word "luge" specifically implies the use of gravity power and/or no outside power source.

At this point I'm just playing the Devil's advocate. I do like what you're doing and think it's cool. I'd help if I could (If it were originally designed in Solidworks). But... I still, in my core, feel that street luge (or runway, or salt flat, or indeed any luge) should be gravity powered.

Williams-Luge.com
StreetlugePDX.com
FrankW

Postby DazTheCowboy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:29 am

bobswartz wrote::wink:
Hmmmmm JetLuge where have I heard that before?

not to sure myself...........but if you here anythign let me know ;) haha

FrankW wrote:
At this point I'm just playing the Devil's advocate. I do like what you're doing and think it's cool. I'd help if I could (If it were originally designed in Solidworks). But... I still, in my core, feel that street luge (or runway, or salt flat, or indeed any luge) should be gravity powered.

i hear ya frank, and to a degree i'm on your side, but there's that part in me that wants to go faster than any man alive..............sorry it wins ;) hehe
DazTheCowboy

Postby Big Steve » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:40 am

Curious what wheels you plan to run on your JetLuge. You mentioned a "body" or do you plan to use fairings and keep your body open?
Big Steve
Official Sponsor of Christian
Big Steve

Postby DazTheCowboy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:49 am

Big Steve wrote:Curious what wheels you plan to run on your JetLuge. You mentioned a "body" or do you plan to use fairings and keep your body open?

hey steve

at the moment, i won't be using any wheels as not one wheel sponsor is willing to come on board hehe, actually i won't mention what wheels i'll be using unless they are a sponsor as i see it as a huge benefit for them and there company, i will be masking any wheels i use on the board unless otherwise.

yes i will be having a faring, it will be more of a necessity than anything really as it will keep sensitive components safe and away from any heat sources, but i will have an open riders area like most luge's you know.
DazTheCowboy

Postby FrankW » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Curious: What kind of protective suit you'll be wearing as I see a project like this warranting more than just a set of racing leathers... maybe a fire suit over the leathers?

Knowing me, I'd probably try to rig up an onboard fire extinguisher...

BTW: I would be extremely interested to see the progress first hand come this April when I should be there for Newtons.

Williams-Luge.com
StreetlugePDX.com
FrankW

PreviousNext

Return to Street Luge Discussion Room