Jet Powered Luge Downunder

Everyday general street luge and gravity sports discussion.

Moderator: Street-Luge.com

Jet Powered Luge Downunder

Postby DazTheCowboy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:58 pm

hey guys

i've been working on a little project of mine in secret now for the last year and i thought i'd share it with you, i still got a long way to go but not far to travel.

have a look at the website at www.jetluge.com.au

PEACE!

Daz
DazTheCowboy

Re: Jet Powered Luge Downunder

Postby woody » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:33 pm

That is cool mate , cant wait to follow the progress :)
it interests me in two ways , as a streetluger and a Jet engine mechanic ( I build Rolls Royce &Turbomeca Jet engines for the RAF)
I know Joel and i am sure he would be up for a race !! (when that happens ,i want to be there !)
Woody , going down hill fast ?
woody

Postby DazTheCowboy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:53 am

thanks for your support woody, i look forward to keeping people interest up to date wit the latest news, i just hope it gets others excited to pursue and push their own limits in luge, or gravity sports in general.

yeah i have been speaking with Joel and i would love to work out a race with him, even if it is just to get him back on a jetluge.

one thing i am in desperate need for is a few sets or randal 205 luge trucks, if anyone knows of anyone that would be willing to part with them i would greatly appreciate it, i need 3 sets and i am having huge problems getting a hold of some as they have stopped making them.

PLEASE HELP GUYS!!

thanks in advance.

PEACE!
DazTheCowboy

Postby ChrisMcB » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:08 am

Why do you need Randal Comp IIs?
As you mentioned, they are difficult to get. Why not go for a CNCed truck?
Cindrich is making some Randal like trucks. Plus there are a few other people making decent, wide, trucks.
ChrisMcB

Postby DazTheCowboy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:27 am

hey chris how you been mate? :) it's not so much the width i'm after, it's more the extra set of bearings it allows me to carry, being that i'm going to take things beyond their recommended usage, having some redundancies in place would just be a little more reassuring, if you know any other alternatives i would be more than happy to look into them, but that is the most basic reason i am seeking the randal 205's, hell! i'd use my indy's if they offered the same thing, i prefer my indy's hehe.

PEACE!
DazTheCowboy

Postby ChrisMcB » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:45 am

What speeds are you planning on hitting?

I wouldn't be too concerned with the bearings. But you can also try the CNCed floating axle for Speed Mechanics, you should be able to email them at speedmech@gmail.com

But I would worry about the wheels before worrying about the bearings and trucks.
ChrisMcB

Postby DazTheCowboy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:35 am

oh don't worry chris i am worried about everything equally hehe, but it's a chicken and egg thing at the moment, but yes the bearings are least of my worries in terms of failures but still need to be addressed, as well as the wheels.

i'll be hitting speeds of 200kph+ so i will literally be taking things to the limit but not before allot of testing.

you can follow on my blog where i go into more detail http://www.jetluge.com.au/blog.html

thanks again chris.

PEACE!
DazTheCowboy

Postby ChrisMcB » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:37 pm

DazTheCowboy wrote:i'll be hitting speeds of 200kph+ so i will literally be taking things to the limit but not before allot of testing.

So you'll be taking bearings to about a 1/3 of their rated potential? Like I said, the bearings are the least of your worries.

200KPH is 124 MPH. That is getting close to the limit of urethane wheels. I can't remember what wheels Roland used last time he took his board up to 150 MPH. But have you considered aluminum hubs with rubber wheels?
ChrisMcB

Postby DazTheCowboy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:56 pm

hardy ha chris, oh don't we know our bearings hehe ;) like i mentioned least of my worries but still need to be addressed. funny you mention those wheels, just yesterday i have got an engineer getting me a quote on a set custom made to my design, their a wheel manufacturer for industrial type wheels but market they can make a wheel for any application, but if you see me on skate wheels you know it was to much hehe.
DazTheCowboy

Postby FrankW » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:50 pm

My biggest concern would be aerodynamic lift.
2013 IGSA Street Luge, 2013 & 2012 IGSA Classic Luge World Series Champ

facebook.com/williams.streetluge
Williams-Luge.com
StreetlugePDX.com
FrankW

Postby ChrisMcB » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:05 pm

FrankW wrote:My biggest concern would be aerodynamic lift.

You shouldn't have to worry about this too much until 150 mph or so.
The simplest solution is to use footpegs, and add a small angled "wing" on the front. Roland used a face shield to accomplish. It should be enough to keep the front of the board on the ground.
ChrisMcB

Postby Nascar_Freak » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:29 am

Daz - You have more information on you jet engines? Also where did you get them?

Ive been recently thinking about doing that at the utah salt flats. Cant wait to see some vids of it!
Nascar_Freak

Postby FrankW » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:45 am

I can give you all the information you need on model airplane turbine engines. They're amazing, however expensive. JetCat are the most popular lately, they even came out with a cool new micro turbine I was thinking of getting for a plane of mine.

Williams-Luge.com
StreetlugePDX.com
FrankW

Postby FrankW » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:28 am

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/MB ... RBINE.html

A bit out of my price range but looks oh so sweet.

Do you really think you'll need 420 lbs of thrust? Most jets don't even have a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio. Even model jets which are capable of almost 350 MPH (I believe the current world record stands at 346 MPH) rarely have over 1:1. You're proposing almost 2:1. Besides efflux velocity is what really matters when it comes to jets and model turbines usually generate efflux around 600 MPH. Don't get me wrong, the project sounds awesome ; I just think it could be accomplished with much less. Besides, afterburners on model engines are very dangerous and I've seen experimental ones go very wrong very quickly.

Williams-Luge.com
StreetlugePDX.com
FrankW

Postby ChrisMcB » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:31 pm

Nascar_Freak wrote:Daz - You have more information on you jet engines? Also where did you get them?

Ive been recently thinking about doing that at the utah salt flats. Cant wait to see some vids of it!

I think you will have a very difficult time running at an official event on the salt flats with a jet luge. I believe there is only one event that does thrust vehicles, and most of the organizations are fairly strict about what they allow.

Roland has some great info on powered luges at his site. http://www.poweredstreetluge.com
ChrisMcB

Next

Return to Street Luge Discussion Room