Fiberglass?

Everyday general street luge and gravity sports discussion.

Moderator: Street-Luge.com

Fiberglass?

Postby SweetbabyCthulhu » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:41 pm

Is a fiberglass luge practical?
Or even possible?
Where would you do that?
Why?
It would be very light,but would it be sturdy enough?
?Dont know...
SweetbabyCthulhu

Re: Fiberglass?

Postby ltbaylor » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:39 pm

What kind of luge design?
you could probably go to a small boat manufacture, or buy a kit. http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/?gclid=CJGe7vCL1Z4CFRyfnAodvieQrQ
I saw they had carbon fiber which would be better yet. : )
with a good core, i think it would be solid to take the strain, but it might get battle marked really quickly
ltbaylor

Postby Pete Sumner » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:34 pm

Back in 2006 Tim Novak and I made fiberglass luges and raced them at Madison County that summer. They totally work if you're willing to do the finer details.

Practicality depends on your design. You can truly make anything you imagine. Hindsight being what it is, I can thing of dozens of improvements to make if I were inclined to make another one.

We built them in Tims basement. Be prepared for huge messes like foam dust, resin spills, etc. God bless the inventor of the shop vac.

We built them to test our creativity and have some SLICK luges. We used home insulating foam as a core with a plywood spine for added sturdiness and flat surfaces to mount trucks to.

Would I ever build another one? Yes, if it weren't for the fact that I ride a Skateluge Noreaster now and am crazy about it!!! I've ridden all kinds of luges for 17 years now and can say fiberglass does perform.
Pete Sumner

Postby Mr. Lang » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:20 am

This is my foam-core luge.
It performs very very well and is totally competitive.
Awkward to say, that it is sturdy too, which i tested in a few crashes this year.

It's like a Rogers bros luge but much lighter with a weight of 11.5kg (23.4lbs) with 4 trucks, 8 Wheels and the fairing kit.
It's not the end of the development and more will come.

EDIT: My English sucks!
Last edited by Mr. Lang on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Lang

Postby skateluger » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:03 am

http://www.skateluge.com/streetluge/glassluge.html

The only issue with fiberglass is it scrapes real easy if you slide on pavement. The one above is a plywood and foam core structure.
Gravity never fails.
www.skateluge.com
skateluger

Postby ChrisMcB » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:28 am

Mr. Lang wrote:.... which i tested in a few crashes this year.
EDIT: My English sucks!

Hmmm it seems to me like your english is just fine.

Tim, you know pretty much ANYTHING scratches easily when slid across the pavement at 60 MPH.
ChrisMcB

Postby skateluger » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:47 am

Tim, you know pretty much ANYTHING scratches easily when slid across the pavement at 60 MPH.

Yeah, thats true but fibreglass is like butter on a belt sander when it hits the street compared to wood and aluminum. Of course, the ultimate solution to that would be NOT to scrape....
Gravity never fails.
www.skateluge.com
skateluger

Postby SweetbabyCthulhu » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:34 pm

A lot of variety,
I don't know what I will end up with.
I am lucky because I know at least two people here in my hometown who build boards.
Really want to get back to riding,soon.
SweetbabyCthulhu

Postby trikesrule » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:22 am

As a fibreglass composites person I think thats an exageration that fibreglass is like butter. I've an alumium luge and it's like butter to a belt sander when it's scraped on the roadway and it's harder and more expensive to repair. I think the trick is to put replaceable skid plates on. I'm fitting those right now as I intend to continue testing heaps (and probably crashing heaps too) haha. Just have too finish getting well again after visiting and recording the highest speed into hay bales at Forest Elbow. :lol:

But yep I'd have a glass luge as all my other gravity toys are glass and their all class winners that set highest speeds and never lost a race etc. Am I happy with them? You bet!..........trikes
trikesrule

Return to Street Luge Discussion Room